Personal Journal: the strategic default of the house we purchased in 2006

Monday, March 15, 2010

Mortgage Weight Gain

Talking about your mortgage is in an area of taboo topics. The others include bathroom and bedroom habits, personal salaries and weight.  The World Wide Web is rife with taboo topics, so this post fits perfectly.  I know banking and real estate are big business, but my house is personal.  I'll pick the lesser personal topic as an analogy of my mortgage.

We need to eat, just as we need shelter.  Could you imagine if you sat down to an average, everyday breakfast, nothing fancy, just fuel to keep yourself going during the day, but there was something amiss?

It looks like a piece of toast and and egg, but you have this nagging feeling.  You have been eating this breakfast everyday for 4 years.  It is healthy, it has whole grains, protein, and you need it.  It is high in fiber, just enough fat, and seemingly, the right amount to get you to lunch.

Contributing to your doubts are 50lbs you have gained in the last 4 years.  Though this reasonable meal seem perfect, what should have 350 calories, really has 2,000 calories.  You don't feel any fuller, but the scale, and your waistline tell you differently.  The toast and egg people are telling you to eat it anyway saying you can lose the weight in 40 years.

This is a perfect analogy of me and my mortgage.  I am a sensible and reasonable person in most areas of my life, especially those 'unmentionable' areas.  Paying for this house, is thinking you are eating diet food, and actually eating everything on the McMenu.

Though the 7-8 groups of potential buyers that walked through my house this weekend made me grieve the loss of this house, I also want to get my diet back in check so that I am not a 70 year old, sick homeowner.

No comments:

Post a Comment