Personal Journal: the strategic default of the house we purchased in 2006

Thursday, July 7, 2011

HOA

My mind is racing a bit with questions about buying the house we live in.  The main one is doubts about the home owners association.  We don't know the details of membership.  What we do know is it may be a community, but it is not neighborly.  Or, our experience so far has not been warm and generous.

Does that matter?  Will it be okay to have the 'trashy' house on our street?  Can I survive wondering if folks are judging me as they walk to the mailboxes?

Though I had nothing to do with the pink toilet in my yard, it exposed the nature of several neighbors.  It's good to know that how our block looks, is something people care a lot about here.  I care a lot about being a steward of my stuff as well.  I hope to be generous with it, and cling loosely to it at the same time.  I know it was weeks ago now, but I'm putting into the category of things to think about if we really do want to buy this house.

The time crunch on the decision ins't really helping.  I have to pack to go to Europe for 5 weeks!!

I was raised down a country lane, without a neighborhood.  The only neighborhood I knew about was Mister Rogers'.  It didn't seem so confusing when I was a pre-schooler.

No comments:

Post a Comment