Personal Journal: the strategic default of the house we purchased in 2006

Thursday, March 25, 2010

Dyson People vs. Lending People

My vacuum broke in the feverish cleaning that has been going on at our house.  I vacuumed up the tassels on a rug, and then the belt broke, but only after a week of a terrible noise that scared even the neighbors.

I got on the Dyson (I only buy appliances that rhyme with my name, it makes it kinda tough) website to attempt to order a part, or find where I could buy parts.  Online, they had a number I could call if I needed assistance.  It was easy.  

The lady on the phone told me I didn't need a new beater-bar, or anything too fancy, I just needed a new belt, and she was sure that the noise would stop, and the problem would be solved.  I asked where I could buy a part, as we are rather rural and don't have tons of retail options.  She didn't answer, but asked my address.  I gave it to her, and she told me she was sending me a new belt in an act of good faith.

I was dumbfounded.  I was gushing.  I was thankful.  Maybe overly thankful for a small piece of rubber and free shipping.  I have been desensitized to human kindness and corporate kindness.  I guess I didn't expect that calling Dyson on the phone would help me in any way towards fixing my problem.  I have become so used to long wait times, adds about mortgages instead of elevator music,  and scripted denials and responses.

I wonder what would happen if Citimortgage was as helpful and the vacuum people?

2 comments:

  1. That's cool Dyson was so nice on the phone. It makes me want to get that brand when we buy our next vacuum. We're still using a Sears brand one somebody gave us when we got married 10 years ago. By the way, (for future reference) there's a vacuum repair / parts place across from GV Meeks that might help replace your belt if it breaks again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've serviced my machines there before, but there's nothing like FREE!!

    ReplyDelete