Personal Journal: the strategic default of the house we purchased in 2006

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Mortgage Company: Play by Play



Yesterday I wrote that I felt like the mortgage company was playing a game.  When you talk to them, it is a rather scripted game, but what good team doesn't have a playbook?  The more I thought about it, the more it was a soothing analogy (soothing might be the wrong description, I don't know exactly how I feel about it, wait, there is no crying in baseball, it doesn't matter how I feel).

I guess when the real estate market collapsed, I was rather cavalier about it (judgmental, ignorant, uninformed).  I was not going to play by their rules, and was rather proud that I had stepped out of the game.  Countrywide and Washington Mutual could do what they do, and I could simply be a spectator.  I imagined that when I am old I would own my house, and it would be something of real value, the cold, hard, game numbers say otherwise.

Though I felt  I was sitting on the sidelines, I was actually also playing for the other team.  Since The Bank makes the rules and has a playbook, it makes it difficult to realize you are playing, but you are.  If you don't realize you are playing, how can you win?  I can imagine it's like playing Scrabble with a pre-schooler, and then if I start to slip, taking money from my dad to give myself a bonus.  I can't lose, I have to win.

Bank, I wanna know what the strategy is behind calling daily, and hanging up.  I have caller ID, I know it's you!  I'm going to call that move 'The DrunkDial'.

No comments:

Post a Comment