Personal Journal: the strategic default of the house we purchased in 2006

Monday, March 1, 2010

Trapping the Credit Fairy


I don't buy things I don't have the money to buy.  A part of it is that I am rather cheap (I prefer frugal) and the other part is that I'm having faith that things are going to work out.  To be honest I've never wanted something so much, and I haven't ever been faced with enough financial difficulty, that I would use a credit card, or borrow from a bank (with one HUGE exception).

This puts us in an odd situation because credit is valued so highly.  We say we don't use credit, and then we live like it's valuable.  It actually was valuable enough for us to continue paying our mortgage long after we felt we should.

Later, we came to our senses.  So what if our credit is bad?  Are we bad people?  When did our credit score become important?  This is the point I am trying to make.  I operate in the world of morals, ethics and relationships, the financial institutions we use do not.  Their bottom line, is the bottom line.  They are playing a different game, and I am not playing around.  Why would I feel bad about having bad credit?  The answer is easy:

http://www.creditfairy.org/

Check out the propaganda on this site!!  You may have seen some of their commercials on TV.  Who is the Consumer Bankers Foundation?  Be sure to read the fine print like they suggest on the site, especially take note of the "about us" at the bottom of the page.  My lender is on that page.

Once I realized I'd been influenced by social pressure from financial institutions, I felt free from the feelings of guilt (okay, I felt stupid too).

After we worked out the moral implications of not paying our mortgage, we headed to the lawyer.  I'm fine with morally justifying it, but that might not hold up to the IRS!!

Note:  The happy-married-white-male-laptop-owning-business-executive-plastic holding-man-photo is swiped from the Credit Fairy site.

1 comment:

  1. Yes Credit is a necessary evil in our society. Unfortunately, things like airlines, hotels, and rental car companies don't rent or take reservations because people are good people. The offer their services with a guarantee, a credit card. Also, besides PayPal, it's pretty tough to purchase online. I would caution you in your actions over the next few months in your quest to make sure you don't make a mis-step you might be paying for for a very long time.

    ReplyDelete